Wednesday, September 2, 2009

September When It Comes...

Welcome to September, football fans. This blog's title is from a wonderful song, a duet by Johnny Cash and his dotter Rosann. I first heard Rosann sing it it in Nov '03, while watching the 2.5 hour memorial to JC at the Rhyman Theatre. That was actually a star-filled, spectacular show, hosted by Tim Robbins (who knew he and JC were tight?). At the end, friends and family took the stage to sing 'We'll Meet Again' from one of John's last albums. It was very moving. Anyway, back to the song...it's weird that R & JC came up with this ditty and titled it thus a few years before Johnny's Sep 13/03 death. Like a premonition or something. September, when it comes...gives me goosebumps...and it's a Great Song. You should listen to it sometime.


And speaking of premos - June Carter Cash had passed away only 4 months earlier, in May of '03. In reading 'Johnny Cash Man In Black' (a biography as told to so & so that was supposed to be an autobiography, but John died), there was an interesting story behind June's death. She had a heart-valve replacement and was doing wonderfully that evening, sitting up in bed eating Jello. But then she began feeling not quite right - she knew something was wrong. She called one of John's dotters (Cindy, I think) and said "take care of Daddy, I'm not going to make it." The family was understandably upset by this and all went to visit her, including JC, who was in a wheelchair at that time. June passed away later that night, from a massive myocardial infarction (heart attack).

Weird, huh? Like she foresaw her own death. John would go visit her grave and cry, and one time when he was with one of his dotters, he hollered "Baby, I'm coming! I'll see you soon!" And 4 months later he was gone. Yes, he had multiple health issues, but I believe he also died of a broken heart. He and June were together, making music and a happy family, for 35 years.

Another thing about June that I enjoyed from the book was how John's dotters all said she was a kind, loving and giving Mother. Not "step-mother". They said June would not allow the use of the word "step" in their household...she treated John's dotters as if they were her own.

I like that! Some people could take a lesson from June Carter Cash.

Rest in Peace, John and June


Football
- yes, it's true, the Bombers will sign 'Pacman' Jones. Yes, he's a pretty scuzzy individual with a record (ala so many other NFL scuzzies) but whatryagonnado? At least it isn't the Dog Killer. It is what it is...I wish them all luck in Regina this Sunday, at the Labour Day Classic. Come ON Bombers, you can beat 'em this time. Hopefully we win, but win or lose, I can't wait for the Banjo Bowl on Sep 13 (...oh yah, the 6th anniversary of JC's death)


Cars
- AUGH! Test drove the Nissan Sentra...it handled well, I was comfy in it, but I was driving West, directly into the evening sun at one point and I gotta say, the visor seemed to take up a whole lot of window...i.e. it hung down real low!! I admit I was sitting high in the seat cuz it gotz a lever you can pump up to sit taller, me being short-waisted and all. But still, this is an important issue. It has an awesome stereo (very important) and is Bluetooth enabled (not so important, but I cud learn to love it).
Test drove the Corolla S, which is the 4-door sport model. A beauty! Both cars have a moonroof by the way, and I'm going to spoil myself by getting one. The Corolla is Bluetooth ready (not enabled) but so what? I don't have it now, so I wont' miss it. Anyhow...I love this car! It's jazzy, it fits me, it drives like a dream and handles wonderfully.

But the Sentra has heated seats. Wow. I could use that in minus 30 and colder between leaving work and getting in my cold car car in the shitty parkade. But will that sway my decision? No. The Corolla allegedly heats up the cabin very, very fast (as explained by David, it's all Greek to me), you don't have to wait 10 minutes for warmth... and that would be a bonus on those f*cking cold winter days!! Will that sway my decision? Probably. The Sentra has CVT (continuous variable transmission...i.e. there are no gears) but how much do we know about that technology and how good it is? The Corolla has a plain old 5-speed automatic transmission. Nothing fancy, proven technology. But the gear shifter - it is neat & fancy! Will that sway my decision? Likely :-)

Anyway, Nissan have 0% financing right now...you can't beat that. Toyota, 0% for 3 years...not too sure what happens in terms of a 5-year car loan, but something like 3.9%. However, football fans, I went to the Credit Union & got pre-approved at 4.25 (prime plus 1.75). The comfort in that is, number one: when the financing guy starts making noise about how my hubby has to co-sign (which we refuse to entertain), we're done. And/or, when the interest rate ends up higher than what they say (and this usually happens), we're done. And I can get the dinero from the Credit Union. Simple...like Paris Hilton.

And may I say to the Royal Bank...Bite Me! Shortly ago, they refused to increase my line of credit (that I've never used) in order to buy a vehicle, cuz I had too much 'debt ratio', due to the goofy way they calculate it. The diff between Royal Bank and Credit Union is...the CU practically throw money at you!!! I went through the Spanish Inquisition with the Royal, for an hour, and they said no. To a 32-year customer...I have heard from other peeps that they just don't give a shit anymore. Well get this, Royal Bank. Not only am I taking you off my Christmas Card list, but I fully intend (soon's I have some time) to move my remaining account there over to the Credit Union. Take that. That'll learn 'em! (like they care) But this is enough...banking there for 32 years and all kinds of other financial institutions have helped me out in the past with loans & mortgages...and they can't do squat for me. So yah, they can bite me. They'll miss me but it will be too late...I won't go back, no matter how much they plead :->>

Anyway, that's today's blog...home sick with stomach flu, but this too shall pass. Must get the young son to school today & pick up his Timetable...school starts in one week! Road test one day after that...Augh! pray for us all!!!

Toodles
CFM

No comments:

Post a Comment